~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~St Anthony’s Triathlon Newsletter
Final Race update – Please Read !!!!!!!!
St. Anthony’s Triathlon Participants:I hope your preparation has gone well. We are looking forward to another exciting year of racing. St. Anthony’s will once again play host to one of the largest and most competitive Professional and Amateur fields in the world and we are glad you have chosen St. Anthony’s Triathlon as part of your 2013 season.The participants list is posted in start / swim wave order. Swim waves are also posted. Numbers are assigned based on your wave start time and in alphabetical order. Please refer to the swim waves list for your approximate start time. (i.e. If you are in the 14th wave, you will appear with your respective division around mid-way down the list.)Please read the important information below to help answer any questions you may have regarding race weekend.NEW SECURITY PROCEDURE FOR 2013: PLEASE READGiven the recent tragedy in Boston, we have worked closely with the St. Petersburg Police Department to heighten event security. Most of the new procedures we’ll have in place will not affect the athletes but the following new bike check-in procedure will be implemented.1. Athletes will receive (2) clear bags at athlete check in.2. A volunteer will write your bib number on the outside of the clear bags.3. We are asking athletes to place your transition items such as bike shoes, helment, and run shoes, bib number, etc… in the clear plastic bag.4. You are required to bring these items with you on Saturday and they will be checked in along with your bike. Please place your bag next to your bike and use something to help identify your bag (such as brightly colored ribbon, tape, bag tag, etc…. as bags will look alike.5. The second bag is to be used to bring in any additional items on Sunday that are needed for race day, such as water bottle and personal clothing articles.6. Per the St. Petersburg Police Department, we strongly urge you to not bring in back packs as all items will be subject to search before entering transition. Additionally, we ask you to not leave items such as your car keys, cell phone, or wallet in your bags.7. To prevent theft or someone accidentally taking the wrong bag, anyone leaving transition (on Saturday or after the race on Sunday) will be asked to show the clear numbered bag and your numbered athlete wrist band to ensure the bag you are taking matches your athlete wrist band.*** We want to thank you in advance for your cooperation and while this is has not been a standard procedure at events in the past, we hope you understand we are trying to provide for a safe event for all participants, staff and spectators.***Please note, we will be out of the office event week to begin on site preparations. We may not be able to respond to all e-mails. We can address any and all questions event weekend at athlete check in.
In this issue ST. ANTHONY’S TRIATHLON PARTICIPANTS HY-VEE 5150 U.S. CHAMPIONSHIP USAT REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
St. Anthony’s Triathlon Participant Information:
Packet Pick Up and Sports and Fitness Expo:Friday, April 26th: Noon – 7:00p.m.Saturday, April 27th: 10:00a.m. – 6:00p.m.(Packet Pick up begins at Noon)Straub Park – Downtown St. Petersburg
400 Beach Drive NE
St. Petersburg, FL 33701Saturday, April 27: Noon, Straub Park (Expo)Press Conference and Q & A with former Pittsburg Steeler Hines Ward and the following professionals:
Laura Bennett Greg Bennett Mirinda Carfrae Hunter KemperAnne Haug Filip Ospaly Emma Moffatt Matt ReedLisa Norden
Saturday, April 27: 2 p.m., Straub Park:USAT and Beginner / Novice Clinic presented by USAT Level 3 coaches Lee Zohlman and Jennifer Hutchison
Saturday, April 27: 4 p.m., Straub Park:Women’s Specific Tri Clinic: “Tips for a Fast and Fabulous Race Day,” Hosted by Jennifer Hutchison, USA Triathlon Level 3 Coach
Please read below to make your event weekend go as smooth as possible.
- Charity / VIP Wave: Check in at the VIP section of the Athlete Check in Tent
- No division changes will be accepted unless an error has been made in gender or age. Please note all participants race based on their age as of 12-31-2013 per USA Triathlon rules.
- Everyone is required to show a photo i.d. and proof of current USAT membership or you will be required to purchase a one day license for $12 at the time of packet pick up.
- Relay Teams: If you must make a team member change, you will be required to pay a $30.00 change fee at registration. The person that is being replaced, does not need to be present. All relay team participants, that plan to race, must be present at check in at the same along with your team members. NO EXCEPTIONS. You will not be allowed to pick up a packet without your entire team present. Each team member will be required to show proof of current USAT membership or purchase a one day license for $12.
- Timing chips will be picked up at PACKET PICK UP. If you have your own timing chip, please make sure to bring with you to the timing table in the registration tent to make sure it is programmed. DON’T FORGET YOUR CHIP RACE MORNING !! IF YOU DO, SPARE CHIPS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE SWIM START AREA.
- ALL St. Anthony’s Triathlon Participants are required to have their bikes and clear bags in transition by7:00 PM on Saturday. You will not be allowed to check in your bike after 7:00pm.
- YOU MUST PICK UP YOUR OWN PACKET. NO EXCEPTIONS
- We will allow participants back in transition as soon as we can so you can reclaim your bikes and gear. Only numbered participants will be allowed in transition. We hope to begin allowing athletes in by 10:30am but if you get in the way of athletes still racing, you will risk DQ and we will close transition off completely until 1PM. If you have made travel plans that require you to leave the race site before 1pm, we will not make an exception for you.
- You MUST start in you assigned wave or you will be disqualified.
- WAVE CHANGES ARE NOT PERMITTED
- If someone other than you races with your bib number, you and the “bandit” participant will be banned from all future St. Anthony’s Triathlon events and are subject to a ban from all USAT events as well.
- PARKING: We unfortunately have limited parking at the race venue. We encourage you to arrive early and use one of the parking decks in downtown St. Petersburg. EXPO PARKING: The City of St. Petersburg will be enforcing parking where parking time limits are posted. Please pay attention to parking signs to avoid being ticketed. Most areas have a 2-3 hour limit on parking if you park on the street. Parking decks do not have a time limit.
- WATER TEMPERATURE (PLEASE READ): Water temperature has slowly been on the rise the past several weeks and is currently 79.2 degrees. The forecast for this week is for temperatures in the mid 80’s so we expect the water temperature to continue to rise. For current water temperature information, you can visit: http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html
- Despite current water temperature being above 78 degrees, we have had windy conditions in the past which can lead to a significant drop in water temperature. While we don’t have significant wind in the current forecast, please BE PREPARED FOR A WETSUIT OR NON-WETSUIT SWIM. WETSUITS: 68 Degrees is the cut off for professionals, 78 degrees is the cut off for participants if they want to be eligible for awards. NOTE: If the water temperature is above 78 degrees but below 82 degrees, athletes will have the option to wear wetsuits but they will not be eligible for age group awards. Additionally, you will be required to start in the final wave(s) that will be designated as THE WETSUIT WAVE(S). If you chose to wear a wetsuit in water above 78 degrees, you MUST start in the wetsuit wave or you will be disqualified. There will be NO AWARDS for the wetsuit wave. We will make announcements on Friday and Saturday at the EXPO with current water temperature readings. A final water temperature reading will be made early race morning and we will be making announcements over the PA race morning with the final ruling on water temperature and wetsuits.
- SKIN SUITS ARE ALLOWED PER USAT RULES!!!
- Transition will open at 4:45am. You must be body marked before entering transition. Everyone will need to be out of transition by 6:40am. Race Start for the professional athletes will be at 6:50am. For those starting in later waves, make sure to be at the start area no later than 30 minutes before your projected start time.
- We do not have a bag drop at the race start so make sure to have arrangements made to give your clothes or shoes to someone if you plan to bring them with you to the race start area.
- Do not lose your chip or race cap. If you do, extras will be on hand at the start area
- Helmets: All helmets are required to be CPSC Approved and the original approval sticker must be present. All approved helmets have a sticker inside stating they are CPSC compliant. If you have a new design aero helmet, or European manufactured helmet, make sure it is CPSC approved or you will be disqualified. Officials will be checking all helmets race morning. Pro helmets will be checked by officials on race morning. If you do not have a CPSC approved helmet you will be disqualified. If you have any questions about the legality of your helmet, bring it to the pro meeting on Saturday for inspection by the head official.
- I am working closely with USAT officials to ensure that USAT rules will be enforced to the full extent. All passing is on the left. Make sure to be vocal if you are approaching riders in your way. Slower riders, stay to the right !!!!!
- ELITE AMATEURS: IF YOU CATCH THE PROFESSIONAL WOMEN, YOU ARE ALLOWED TO PASS ON THE RIGHT. HOWEVER, WHEN PASSING OTHERS RACING IN THE ELITE AMATEUR DIVISION, YOU MUST PASS ON THE LEFT !!!!
- NO IPODS, HEADPHONES, etc…….RACE MANAGEMENT WILL BE AT THE RACE SITE WITH EVENT PREPARATIONS UNDERWAY STARTING TUESDAY, APRIL 23rd. IF YOU E-MAIL WITH QUESTIONS, WE MAY NOT RESPOND SO PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT ATHLETE CHECK IN.Safe Travels. I hope you have a great race experience!
Philip LaHayeEvent DirectorSusan DanielsCo-Director
QUALIFICATION DETAILS FOR THE HY-VEE 5150 U.S. CHAMPIONSHIP
You won’t want to miss this one. The world’s fastest professional and age group athletes will toe the line in Des Moines, Iowa on September 1, 2013. Professional athletes will be racing for over $500,000 in prize money. Age groupers will be racing for over $170,000 in prizes.
5150 Age Group Qualification: Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. ChampionshipOver $170,000 in product and prizes will be awarded to top age groupers in each division at the championship event (Awards will go 10 deep in each race division).
Qualification for all domestic and international 5150 events:Top 15 in each of the following age group categories qualify (Male and Female)15-19, 20-24, 25-29……….. 80+
Top 15 in each of the following categories:Elite AmateurPhysically ChallengedClydesdale 39 and underClydesdale 40 and overAthena 39 and underAthena 40 and over
Registration process for qualified athletes:A registration code will be sent via e-mail within one week following the event date and code will be valid for 2 weeks from the date of issue. After 2 weeks, registration code is no longer valid and if not used, will be forfeited.
USA Triathlon Florida Region Championship~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The top 33 percent of each age group at Regional Championships and Special Qualifiers contested prior to July 29 will automatically qualify for the 2013 USA Triathlon Olympic-Distance National Championships, which will take place Aug. 10 in Milwaukee, Wis. Regional Championships or Special Qualifiers held after July 29 will qualify athletes for 2014 Olympic-Distance Nationals.
St Anthony’s Triathlon Newsletter Final Race update – Please Read !!!!!!!!
Posted in Uncategorized