According to rule number 5.11j under Bicycle Specifications in the USA Triathlon Competitive Rule Book, “There must be one working brake on each of the two wheels.” When USAT officials walk through the transition area prior to the beginning of the race, this is one of the things that they will be checking on each bike. If an official finds a bike with only one brake, that athlete will be advised that their bicycle is illegal for use in the event. They will be disqualified; the race director will remove the bike from transition and the athlete will not be allowed to go out on the course. Remember, it’s up to the athlete to know the rules.
For further information on this rule or any other rule, please go to the USA Triathlon Competitive Rules on the USAT website USATriathlon.org.
Sunday, June 18, 2017
Looking for High School Students who are adventurous enough to try a new sport!
Now is the time to “try a TRI!”
USA Triathlon Florida Region is hosting the High School Regional Championship Triathlon Race on Sunday, June 18, 2017. The race is a sprint distance triathlon: .25 mile swim – 14 mile bike – 3.1 mile run. With proper training and coaching, this is a realistic goal for most active high school age individuals.
2017 High School Regional Championships
The 2017 USA Triathlon High School Regional Championships will be hosted in conjunction with the Florida 2017 Regional Youth Championship at the Heartland Triathlon the weekend of June 17 & 18, 2017 in Sebring, Florida.
Race Date: Sunday, June 18, 2017
Distance: Non-draft Sprint Triathlon: .25 mile swim-14 mile bike- 3.1 mile run
Racing Age: Age as of 12/31/2017
Registration Fee: $90
- USA Triathlon Annual Membership
- Proof of High School program enrollment
- Options for Proof of Attendance :
- School ID, report card, other form of identification verified by high school.
- Important Registration Information
- There is no transfer or deferment of entries from one year to the next
- There are no refunds
- Athletes MUST be annual USA Triathlon members to race
To be eligible for awards you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be a U.S. national – someone who has resided in the U.S. for three years.
- Athletes must reside in the Florida Region for awards
- Top 3 Male Overall and Top 3 Female Overall- High School
For more information on high school triathlon in the Florida, please contact Deb Peters, USA Triathlon Florida Region Youth Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 813-731-8767
Founded – 2009
Number of members – 2016: 420 members
Annual Dues – $39
Description – Membership dues for The 2017 Season are $39 and include a BRT Drawstring Bag, a club tech t-shirt/tank and Choice of BRT Headsweats Visor or Trucker Hat (hat for 1st time members only). Everyone will receive a BRT Purist Water Bottle, a $10 gift certificate to Runner’s Edge in Boca Raton and 2-bike stickers. All clinics, Happy Hours, Socials, Parties, Training Groups are free to all Paid members. Members also receive numerous discounts to races, gear, vendors, and discounts at many of the local shops.
Location – Boca Raton, Florida
Contact – Kristy Breslaw, 561-350-6306. Info@bocaratontriathletes.com
Website – www.bocatri.com
The Florida Region is looking for USA Triathlon members that would like to become certified as referees. Officiating at triathlons is a fantastic way to be involved in the sport.
“What’s it take,” you ask? To become a USA Triathlon official, you must be a member of USA Triathlon, be in good physical condition, weigh less than 200 pounds and be capable of riding for hours at a time as a passenger on a motorcycle.
You also need to attend a 3-hour certification clinic held in conjunction with a USA Triathlon sanctioned triathlon or duathlon. There you learn about the USA Triathlon officials’ program and the competitive rules. The following day, you actually work at an event as an official under supervision of the head referee.
Learn more: https://usatfloridaregion.com/officials/
Want to get started right away? Contact Tom Reilly at FloridaROC@msn.com.
Founded – March 2015
Number of members – Nearly 200
Annual Dues – $39 Annual / $99 3-Year
Description – Fort Lauderdale Triathletes (FLT) strives to provide a healthy lifestyle, fun environment, and social atmosphere for members to pursue their individual development and achievements in the sport of triathlon. FLT members truly represent a diverse group, with all manner of age, interest, ability, and experience welcomed and valued equally. FLT also provides training information and opportunities to our members, as well as discount opportunities on multi-sport races and vendors throughout the year.
Location – Greater Fort Lauderdale (Broward County)
Contact – email@example.com
Website – www.fltri.com
We are so happy to announce our USAT Florida Region Sunshine Leaders! There were many amazing applications and it was truly a challenge to only choose ten. As the program grows and expands, we hope to continue adding leaders. The ten women chosen represent an incredible group of backgrounds, ages and stories. The women come from all around the state and will be working diligently this
year to bring more women into the sport through clinics and programs. They will also be a liaison to connect you with clubs and youth programs in your area. We know they will shine and will be a true leader in our state. Without further ado, I would like to welcome the following women into our inaugural sunshine leader program:
- Skye Johnson, 41: Jacksonville
- Elise Enloe, 62: Oviedo
- Kayla Manning, 34: Orlando
- Janet Carmen, 35: Satellite Beach
- Zoe DaSilva, 38: Boca Raton
- Laurie Rose, 52: Naples
- Suzanne Kyre, 52: Port Charlotte
- Allison Linares, 44: Tampa
- Sara McLarty, 34: Clermont
- Karen Harbaugh, 49: Gainesville
Win a Free Entry to USA Triathlon Florida Region Long Course Championship or Club Regional Championship held in Clermont, FL. The races will be held on March 18 – 19, 2017. The Campaign must be entered by submitting a daily picture with your favorite Tri Uniform and post it on Social media such as Facebook and Instagram with the following hastags: #usatfloridaregion @usatfloridaregion #usatflregionlongcourse
Contest Dates: Entries will be accepted online starting on Thursday, March 2, 2017, 9 am EST and ending Wednesday, March 9, 2017, 11:59 pm. All online entries must be received by Wednesday, March 9, 2017, 11:59 pm.
We look forward to your postings!
Please review the Rules and Regulations:
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up at the USAT Florida Region Website (www.usatfloridaregion.com) and who are 18 years or older as of the date of entry.The Campaign is only open to legal residents of Florida, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of USA Triathlon Florida Region, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of USAT Florida Region as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on Thursday, March 2, 2017, 9 am EST and ending Wednesday, March 9, 2017, 11:59 pm. All online entries must be received by Wednesday, March 9, 2017, 11:59 pm.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting a daily picture with your favorite Tri Uniform and post it on Social media with the following hastags: #usatfloridaregion @usatfloridaregion #usatflregionlongcourse . The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of USA Triathlon Florida Region. You may enter daily to qualify. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of USA Triathlon Florida Region.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive a comp entry to Somme’s Sports Half, Olympic, Sprint or Aquathlon. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by USA Triathlon Florida Region. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at USA Triathlon Florida Region discretion or transferred to another race. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for USA Triathlon Florida Region to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by USA Triathlon Florida Region Council – Race Committee under the supervision of USA Triathlon Florida Region Chair. Winner will be notified by social media within two (2) days following selection of Winner. USA Triathlon Florida Region shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within [2 days] from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT USA Triathlon Florida Region‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that USA Triathlon Florida Region, anyone acting on behalf of USA Triathlon Florida Region, and USA Triathlon Florida Region’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. Optional verbiage for Contests: By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of USA Triathlon Florida Region. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless USA Triathlon Florida Regionfrom and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which USA Triathlon Florida Region may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Terms & Conditions: USA Triathlon Florida Regionreserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond USA Triathlon Florida Region’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, USA Triathlon Florida Region may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by USA Triathlon Florida Region. USA Triathlon Florida Region reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. [USA Triathlon Florida Region has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, USA Triathlon Florida Region reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless USA Triathlon Florida Region and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF United State AND Flroida, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Florida having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: USA Triathlon Florida Region 617 Virginia Dr. Orlando, FL 32803. Requests must be received no later than 3/9/2017.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is USA Triathlon Florida Region – 617 Virginia Dr. Orlando, FL 32803.
15. Facebook: If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a contest or sweepstakes, include the following: The Campaign hosted by USA Triathlon Florida Region is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
16. You, the Contestant, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.
Founded – 2017
Number of members – 50+
Annual Dues – $100
Description – SLAPPERS receive team visor, bag, & magnet and are invited to participate in any of the 5-10 group training sessions we host each month. Membership is designed to intorduce you to other endurance multi-sport athletes in the area.
Location – Clermont & Central Florida
Contact – Coach Sara McLarty at firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.swim-like-a-pro.com
The first steps in order to become an efficient swimmer are of course breathing properly and body position. Once we have become proficient at those, the next most important skill is body rotation. Rotation is an important part of freestyle as well as backstroke because by rotating our body to initiate the underwater pull, we put ourselves into a more favorable position to use our back muscles which will make our pull stronger. The question then becomes how much do we actually need to rotate? The majority of our stroke should take place on our stomach, not on our side. The best freestylers rotate their shoulders to either side about 30 degrees from the surface, meaning that they never even rotate halfway onto their side ( 90 degrees). So the goal is to rotate forward in order to lengthen the stroke and set us up for the best catch. The hips should rotate a little less than the shoulders because if the hips rotate too much, it will be difficult to maintain a steady kick. This is why a lot of swimmers will have a cross over/scissor kick when they go to breathe because the hips are rotating too much to the breathing side. As our arm enters the water as well as at the end of each recovery, we want to drive and extend our arm and shoulder forward. Our shoulders will naturally pivot and that is all the rotation that we need. It is also important to ensure that we do not internally rotate the shoulder as this can lead to shoulder impingement as well as an inefficient catch.
In Reality, body rotation doesn’t just naturally happen. It requires a lot of core strength and work, especially in the form of drills. When the rotation is fast and well timed, it will create a substantial force that enables the swimmer to cover more distance with each stroke. Here are some practical drills to help with body rotation, I recommend using fins in the beginning as it is easier to learn the technique.
Single Arm Drill
- Swim with the Left arm, Breath to the left side. The right arm is by your side .
- Swim with Left arm, Breathe to the right side. The right arm is by your side.
- Swim with Right arm, Breath to the right side. The left arm is by your side.
- Swim with Right arm, Breath to the left side. The left arm is by your side.
- Swim on your stomach, hands at your side using a steady kick. alternate lifting left shoulder out of the water while taking a breath and then do the same on the right. The key is keeping your hands at your side.
- Next, do the same drill without lifting your head out other than every 3rd time to breath.
Heather Butcher is a USAT level 1 certified coach, USAT Youth and Junior coach and an ACE certified personal trainer.Heather has been doing personal training and Triathlon coaching for over 10 years and is the owner of TriFitSports personal training studio and multisport coaching located in Venice, FL.
Phone: (941) 416-4492